Let’s talk about how to waterproof tennis shoes. This is a concern of many of our readers.
For that reason, in this post, we want to show you a simple and fast way to waterproof your favorite tennis shoes.
Let’s get started…
How To Waterproof Tennis Shoes?
What you will need:
- Your favorite pair of tennis shoes
- Waterproof spray (My favorite is called Kiwi Protect All, more information on why I prefer this brand below)
Now that we have our shoes and our spray, we are ready to begin…. Let’s talk about the steps.
- The first and probably the most important step is to thoroughly clean your tennis shoes before applying the waterproof spray. This is important because if you don’t clean them properly you risk locking-in the stains. In other words, after you have applied the spray, the stains will be much harder to remove, as water will not be allowed to get down into the stain. (See the FAQ section below for suggestions on how to clean your sneakers)
- Once you have cleaned your shoes, allow them to dry completely before moving onto the next step.
- Next, make sure you are in a well-ventilated area and we can begin to spray our shoes. During this process, I prefer to remove the shoelaces, while others might choose to keep them on. There is no right or wrong way, but the reason I prefer to remove them is that it allows me to reach every corner of the shoes. In order to spray your shoes, hold the bottle so that you are 6 – 8 inches from your sneakers. As you begin to spray, try to apply it thoroughly and evenly across the surface.
- Lastly, allow the shoes to dry for 30 minutes at room temperature. For added protection, you can repeat step 3 or you can now wear your shoes with no worries about them getting dirty. I generally recommend 2 or 3 coats when applying to tennis shoes.
To learn more about how you can waterproof your tennis shoes, check out the following video:
Frequently Asked Questions About Waterproofing Your Tennis Shoes
What is the best waterproof spray?
I like to use Kiwi Protect All for at least 3 reasons. The first reason is that it is relatively inexpensive. I think you can buy a bottle for less than $10. To think that you can protect your shoes with less than a ten-dollar investment is pretty amazing.
If you feel like splurging a little more money you can buy their Protect All Starter Kit. Besides the waterproofing spray, it comes with shoe shampoo to remove dirt and stain. A shoe whitener to make your kicks white again. A black and brown shine and protection to keep your dress shoes shiny. A great bundle to keep your shoes looking their best.
Another reason I really like this brand is that because it isn’t limited to your tennis shoes. You can also use it on such materials as: suede, fabric, textile footwear and yes, leather. Of course before applying to a new material always make sure to read the instructions or test a small section so that you will avoid discoloration.
Lastly and probably my favorite thing about Kiwi Protect All, is that you can use it to waterproof your jackets, hats, bags or even your backpack.
How often should I waterproof my tennis shoes?
Generally, I would recommend that you waterproof your tennis shoes every 2 to 3 months. Of course, this can vary depending on the person and the condition of the shoes.
How do I clean my shoes before applying the spray?
One of the easiest ways to clean your shoes is with a tablespoon of baking soda and a tablespoon of laundry detergent. Mix these ingredients with a little water to create a paste. Under warm water, apply the paste liberally with a toothbrush or something similar. Rinse with cold water allow enough time for your shoes to dry.
Always Remember To….
Follow the instructions on the bottle.
Test before treating the whole shoe to prevent any discoloration.
Apply the waterproofing spray in an open and well-ventilated area.
Make sure to cover your work surface with newspaper or something to protect it from the spray.
Allow your shoes to dry before wearing.
Please share with us how you waterproof your tennis shoes in the comments below.